What do all of these things have in common: designer, author, teacher, illustrator, creator? One answer: Mike Rohde. Another answer: visual thinking. If you don't know what visual thinking is, or don't think you are a visual person, Mike has made it his mission to convince you--and me--that we all are visual thinkers! He even created a new way of taking notes, called Sketchnoting, that combines words and drawings and already has tens of thousands of converts.
This episode covers:
- description of a visual thinker (01:13)
- definition of sketchnoting and possible templates (03:57)
- examples of Mike sketchnoting meals (at Chez Panisse) and travel experiences (Washington, DC and Alaska) (14:31)
- why listening is a secret weapon of sketchnoting (18:49)
- how Mike approaches illustrating books (21:06)
- how it feels to see others using the technique he created (29:37)
- when is a good age for kids to start learning sketchnoting (30:53)
- possible future of sketchnoting (35:04)
... and why Mike once considered giving people just starting out a "diploma" saying, "You have the permission to suck at sketchnoting"!
As promised in the episode, here are links to some of Mike's sketchnotes:
- from his meal at Chez Panisse: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rohdesign/albums/72157624361290783
- from his trip to Washington, DC: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rohdesign/albums/72157626454253117
- additional images: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rohdesign/
- making of The Sketchnote Handbook: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rohdesign/albums/72157629385456752
It's always the right time to try something new, and Mike says we are all up to the task!
Want to know more about Mike?
- go to his website: rohdesign.com
- follow him on Instagram: rohdesign
- find him on Twitter: twitter.com/rohdesign
- link up with him on LinkedIn: mikerohde
- watch his YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCe1elri6WQzEOc7tD18EZOg
- information about The Sketchnote Handbook: https://rohdesign.com/handbook
- information about The Sketchnote Workbook: https://rohdesign.com/workbook
- information about The Sketchnote Ideabook: https://sketchnoteideabook.com/
Want to know more about The Experience Podcast?
- Sign up to be on our Insiders' List to receive our newsletters and insiders' information! Go to theexperiencepodcast.net (sign-ups are at the bottom of the page)
- Follow us on social media: